Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Pablo, the (fake) Jamaican Speed Chess Champion

A huge push for my entry back into chess was this guy. If one were to take Pablo at his word, he has led a very sad life. Stranded in a foreign country without enough money to make a quick return home, his mother contracts breast cancer, leaving him so desperate for money that the champion of Jamaica has to get on the streets to play members of the public, in return for donations from well-wishers.

I played five games with Pablo when he came to Singapore, losing all five times . Ughh. But I had such a fabulous time. Suspending my doubt about the veracity of his story (come on, can't a chess champion borrow some money?), I imagined I was doing a good deed by playing with him, since crowds only gathered when there was a game in progress (and crowds mean more generous people and more ca$h). The charm of playing chess (indoor, boring game) in the street, with a curious audience, and loud music (yay!) was just such a blast. The next day, I signed up for my first chess tournament in more than a decade.

I found out not long after (thanks be to google) that Pablo was a fraud. I admit that I was foolish/generous/stupid/kind (MCQ, no particularly correct answer) enough to give him some money, but after a moment of indignation, I realized that I held no resentment against the fake chess champion. I admired him for his chess playing abilities, his creativity, daring... and I admired his wallet :P

After Pablo appeared in Singapore, I tried to follow his movements, with some difficulty. I've only just found The Closet Grandmaster reporting on Pablo being seen in Sydney (Australia) at the end of 2008, but nothing in 2009. Perhaps he's taking a holiday?



Here I am playing with Pablo.. Look at the crowd! Look at the players!

And when you see a picture, always remember that there is an unseen element.. The photographer!

Thanks to Diana (the girlfriend) :)

Pablo if you read this leave me a comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment